Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Reader

Its been close to a year since my last post and Blogger is a dying platform as many have moved to Tumblr, but my story deserves continuity, even if I am the only reader left.

My last post marked the beginning of the most difficult summer in my entire life. The courseload was inhumane and everyone in my class pulled our hairs out because of it. Needless to say, we lived. I ended up with straight A's all the way up until the last session, where I got one B. I know, I know, a B is not something to be sad about but when you're that close, it takes a lot to get over. I didn't get accepted into San Marcos. They said I didn't meet the pre-reqs. It was hard news to take and I dedicated the next 6 or so months to applying for the next year. I spent most of that time studying for the GREs. I hated that test because it was so non-functional and I am glad I got it over it. After the GREs I started my application process for grad school which is equally draining and stressful. In the meanwhile I continued to volunteer for Dr. Joe who has taught me so much about audiology and the field. I got to test children and learn more and more techniques of audiology. Aside from being a teacher, he has served to be a great friend and an amazing mentor for me.

This brings us to present day. I have begun receiving admission decisions from different schools and I got in!! U. of Arizona informed me that they accepted me into their Doctor of Audiology Program and CSU Fullerton, their M.A. in Communication Disorders. I got an interview with Chapman U. and am still waiting their decision. I also have an upcoming interview with A.T. Still. I got waitlisted for SDSU and didn't even get an interview with CSULB :(. I am glad though and very thankful for my blessings. I could not have done it without the help of the teachers who wrote me recommendation letters.

I've certainly gone a long way. 2 years ago, I had no direction in my life or career. I am glad to say now that I found that direction. It took me 2 years later than some of my friends and the feeling of being left behind or not good enough is not a good one. However, I could not have learned the things I've learned if it were not for the mistakes I've made. I could not have met the teachers and friends I met without admitting the mistakes of my past. I forgave myself long ago. I am very content right now, yet I realize the hardest and best is yet to come. I am ready for the long journey ahead.

To my friend mike: Please come home soon. We all miss you. I wish you were here to share my successes and failures.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that you're not the only reader left here and I still read your blog whenever you update it. I really enjoy reading it, whenver your posts are to do with happy or sad things and even when you're ranting with no particular direction of where you're taking it. Anyway, just thought I'd leave you a comment here. HI AND BYE. JOIN TUMBLR ARLREADY.

    ReplyDelete